Monday, November 1, 2010

I've Mastered Cuffs!

Well, not mastered, but I've achieved cuffs based on David Coffin's instructions in his book and video entitled, "Shirtmaking":
The first cuff took me an hour and half to make, consulting with both the book and the video; the second cuff only took 30 minutes. Hopefully, I'll remember how to do it on the next shirt. I went head and sewed on the front plackets as well and I'm pretty pleased with my matching:

REALLY pleased with the pocket which is below:

Now for the collar; there will be more reading and video watching, and while I think this will be too small for the Carpenter, this is building up my skills. If the collar goes well, I might as well put the buttons on it and hem it up. Maybe I can at least get a photo of him wearing it! It's the thought that counts, right?
On on a non-sewing note, I'm extremely thrilled to be invited to do a guest post on Seraphic's blog for single Catholic women which is published here. Seraphic is a big proponent on waiting for the right man and I couldn't agree more!
Parting Shots: The Carpenter and his brother, the Forester, chopped wood yesterday near the Nottaway River and I got to go. Here's the Nottaway - not a big river, mind you:
Here's the beginning of the cutting. I think the men just like using chain saws:
Brothers, always:

All done:

4 comments:

Shellie said...

beautiful cuffs!! and your plaid matching is perfect :) great job!

PS I'm having my first ever giveaway and would love for you to pop on over! thx

Summerset said...

Looks good! If you can do the cuffs, then attaching the collar stand will make sense, too. I use that bit from DC, too.

Vicki W said...

Nice work!

gwensews said...

Congratulations on such nice cuffs! There is a really good method and tutorial about cuffs at:
http://buzzybeesworld.blogspot.com/on October 16 of this year. It's a method I want to try on my next shirt.