Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Another Project Crossed Off the To-Do List

I can't call this UFO # 3 because it's not a quilty finish, but still. I finished making my mother's kitchen curtains this weekend. On Christmas Day I made her curtains from Robert Kaufman's "Confections" collection for her country kitchen. I loved the cherries on this fabric because they are so cheerful, but the LQS didn't have enough for both windows, so I just made one: When I got back to Richmond, I found the fabric on ebay (gotta love the internet!) and ordered more. Obviously it isn't hard to make two rectangles of fabric for curtains, but it is somewhat of a challenge to make them identical. I took good notes in Cotton Creek though, and made these new ones while I watched Brett Favre go for the Super Bowl. I had some fabric leftover, so I whipped up a pillowcase for me because I needed one and I do like the fabric. Here are the curtains (all folded up - nothing to see here) and the pillowcase.
Ironically, while I was sewing these, I got a phone call from an acquaintance wanting to know if I sew for others. She explained that she and her mother had recently bought fabric for new curtains for her kitchen, but they needed someone to make them for her. Having recently read the "Selfish Seamstress" I was prepared to tell her "no" in a calm and forthright manner, but I am less experienced in rejection, and I lack the fortitude of the Selfish Seamstress. Instead, I told her "no" but I was very happy to teach her how to sew, and she could just bring the fabric with her and we could make the curtains together . . . No, she wasn't interested in that. So I emphasized that my sewing lessons were free. No, she wasn't interested in that either. She really is a lovely person, and I like her a lot, but my guilt was assuaged by the fact that she wasn't willing to put in the time and stand beside me while I basically made them for her in the form of a first lesson.
Of course, the truth is I do sew for others, but only for family who share my DNA and close friends. If I won't sew for you for free, I won't do it for money either. Sewing is my hobby, not my job!
I spent Saturday working on a new skirt with the cashmere/mink fabric I bought at the Philadelphia Quilt Expo. I absolutely love working with this fabric, and I am afraid it has ruined me for everything else. I'll show you when it's done. Hope you are having a great week!

2 comments:

gwensews said...

Congratulations for having backbone to say NO. That is such a small word to cause so much anguish! Love the curtains, BTW.

Kimberly Mason said...

I HATE contracted sewing!!! UGH UGH UGH! Good for you for saying NO.
Beautiful curtains!